The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet asked Monday to allow access of its organs to Sudan to investigate into the “brutal repression” carried out by security forces against demonstrators earlier this month.
“The popular and inspiring uprising in Sudan, with its call for democratic governance and justice, has been brutally suppressed by the security forces this month,” Bachelet said at the opening of the 41st Session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva.
“I regret that the government has not responded to our request to reach Sudan to investigate allegations of serious human rights violations committed by the security forces during the repression,” she said, urging Sudan to “allow access to its office.”
Tension has risen since June 3 as the sit-in outside the army headquarters in Khartoum has forcibly dispersed, At least 128 people were killed in the attack and repression continued in the days to come, according to the Central Sudan Doctors’ Committee, which is part of the protest movement.
The authorities reported that only 61 people were killed during the attack where the military council acknowledged that he ordered the sit-in to be broke up.
Bachelet asked the Sudanese authorities to “put an end to the repression of human rights” in the country and “to stop immediately cutting off the Internet.”
“It has been reported that more than 100 demonstrators were killed and many others were injured during and after the attack by security forces during a peaceful sit-in on June 3,” she said, condemning the attacks on hospitals, clinics and attacks on medical staff.
“We have received allegations of rape and sexual abuse committed against women and men during the repression, as well as information that hundreds of demonstrators may be missing,” she said.
“The Sudanese people have the right in free expression and, like all the peoples of the world, have the right to live in freedom and peace.”